This course seeks to enable students to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills needed toward the goal of becoming an exceptional legal practitioner in an administrative capacity. It is a bridge course designed to provide students with the tools to develop a thorough understanding of legal office procedures including database management, the preparation of legal documentation including research, legal accounting methods, legal analysis, communications and ethics. At the conclusion of the course, you will be able to improve communication methods, improve the productivity within the legal office by obtaining effective tools that promote a smoother operation. You will also get a better understanding of the importance of competency, confidentiality and the administration of ethics in a legal office environment.
Instructions will be given through a blend of lectures, discussions, presentations, class exercisesand quizzes. Students shall be expected to complete each assignment in order to receive the legal office administration certificate.
UNIT 1 - Introduction to Law & Legal Systems
A. What is law?
B. United States & Canadian Legal Systems
C. Court procedures – service and filing
D. The relationship between the Courts & the legal office
UNIT 2 – Legal office procedures
A. The functions of a legal office administrator
B. The functions of a legal assistant
C. Office organization
UNIT 3 – Client management
A. Lawyer – client relationship
B. Client database management – computer systems & applications
C. Customer service
UNIT 4- Legal research & writing
A. Legal terminology & language
B. Legal research & analysis
C. Drafting – citations, plagiarism, clarity & structure
D. Preparation for court
About online learning
Online learning is a fun, enjoyable and very productive way to learn. Millions of people are learning online each year. You will engage with the instructor and other participants. You will get to know your instructor and other participants. You may make friends. It’s easy. It’s fun.
How the Course Works
It is easy to participate in your online course. After you register, you will be given a web address to go to get into your online classroom. You will have a password and use your email address and password to gain access.
Once inside the online classroom, here’s what you can expect.
Participate when you want
You can participate any time of day or evening. The online classroom is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
There are no live real-time requirements or meetings. You decide when you participate.
For the best learning, participants should log into the course on 2-3 different days of the week.
What you will do
For each Unit, you will:
Read the print readings (about 20 pages a week)
Have the option of accessing the online readings
Listen to the audio presentation for the Unit and view the slides
Have the option of taking a self-quiz to see how much you have learned
Engage in written online discussion with your instructor and other participants
For best learning, you should make one or more comments at 2-3 different times each week.
The content (readings, audio lectures, slides) and self quizzes are accessible for the entire course, so you can work ahead, or go back and review again, at your convenience.
• To have an elementary understanding of the court system and how it relates to the operation of a legal office
• To obtain current knowledge and competencies in the practice of legal office administration
• To focus on practical skills and methodology in order to improve productivity, prevent crisis and promote better time management
• To encourage continuing professional development
• To increase career options as a result of enhancing knowledge, skills and performance
• To promote familiarity with legal research sources, tools and basic techniques of legal and logical reasoning
• To be better able to write clearly and concisely in order to effectively communicate with other parties
• You will be able to utilize legal terminology and reasoning appropriately
• You will be able to perform legal office duties and procedures
• You will be able to apply theoretical knowledge for the purpose of research and writing
• You will possess fundamental knowledge and skills needed to work in a legal office